1. Call 911 and report the incident. Write down the police report/incident number and keep with your records.
2. If necessary, seek medical attention. Have injuries documented and photographed.
3. Go to a safe place such as a domestic violence shelter.
4. Seek the support of caring people. Tell someone you trust about the abuse. They may be your friend, a family member, a neighbor, a co-worker, or staff members of support agencies. Talk to them in a private, safe place. You do not need to face abuse alone.
5. Have a safety plan. If your partner is abusive, have a plan to protect yourself and your children in case you need to leave quickly. If you are abusive, be honest with yourself, think of the consequences, and get help. Call the Center for Women and Families at (812) 944-6743 or (502) 581-7222, the Clark County Prosecuting Attorney Domestic Violence Unit at (812) 285-6264, or a local domestic violence shelter for more information.
6. File for a Protective Order that will tell your abuser to stay away.
When you decide to get help, find a support system that works for you. A trusted friend, family member, or professional can help you devise a safety plan and find a safe place for you to stay, if necessary.
If you are a victim of abuse, you are not alone. You have the right to be safe! You are not responsible for violent behavior! No one deserves to be beaten or threatened!
When you are asked to appear in court, be on time. Bring all your paperwork. Do not bring your children. Talk directly to the judge, not the respondent. Tell the truth. Be courteous, sincere, and speak clearly. Bring police reports, photos, and affidavits.
You MUST be able to provide a current address for service of the Protective Order on the abuser.
Keep your protective order with you at all times.
For additional information please contact the Center for Women and Families at (812) 944-6743 or (502) 581-7222, or the Domestic Violence Unit of the Clark County Prosecuting Attorney at (812) 285-6264.
Important Telephone Numbers
DURING AN EMERGENCY, ALWAYS DIAL 911 OR CONTACT YOUR LOCAL POLICE:
Indiana State Police (812) 246-5424
Clark County Police (812) 283-4471
Clark County Sheriff (812) 283-4471
Jeffersonville Police (812) 285-6348
Clarksville Police (812) 288-7151
Sellersburg Police (812) 246-4491
Charlestown Police (812) 256-6345
Utica Town Marshal (812) 283-5816
Borden Town Marshal (812) 967-5464